Musée du Luxembourg

THE GARDENS

 

Right in the heart of the 6th arrondissement of Paris, the Luxembourg Gardens extend over almost 60 acres, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. Created in 1612 around the palace built by Marie de Medici, regent of France, it is laid out with trees and shrubs, flower beds and fountains. In the middle of the 19th century, with a growing urban population, the Luxembourg became one of the capital’s most beautiful parks because of its unusual layout that included traditional French gardens as well as English-style gardens. An orangery, built in 1830, houses over two hundred plant tubs containing oleanders, orange, pomegranate and palm trees. The fruit garden, a legacy of the Carthusian monks of Paris, still contains 320 varieties of apple and 210 varieties of pear. Finally, the hothouses, only open to the public on European heritage days, house the Senate’s collection of tropical orchids.

- © Sénat